Tuesday, October 13, 2009

just one little bite....

My sister, Donnette came over so we could experiment with some recipes- I got her hooked on trying things to make them lower in calories/ fat. We were making egg-rolls and also wanted to try egg drop soup. Since we were doing egg-rolls, we had to try some sauces too- which turned out SO YUMMY!!!


Here I am mixing the stuff and Donnette slicing the green onions- we are so cheesy! Our families make fun of us (mostly me) about posing for the camera.



Our egg-rolls- so good! This was our first batch- we baked them instead of deep-frying to cut out the fat- genius! Both recipes also calls for ginger-root, but I have issues with ginger, so ours does not! I love egg-rolls because you can add anything you want or don't want into the mix! Now if only I could get my kids to try them...

RECIPE:
egg roll wrappers
2 cans chicken; drained
1/2 c. green onion
1/2 c. bean sprouts
1 c. broccoli slaw
2 tbsp. sweet chili sauce
1 tsp. soy sauce
1/4 c. mayo (fat-free works!)
Mix all in a bowl and egg roll wrappers have recipes too and shows how to make them. Bake at 425 for 25-30 minutes.

dipping sauce:
1/2 c. red sweet chili sauce
1/4 c. rice vinegar
2 tbsp. soy sauce
Mix all in small bowl

dipping sauce:
1 bottle bbq sauce
1 jar apricot preserves
1 can sliced pineapples
Put all in medium pot and simmer on low on stovetop for 20-25 minutes. I leave the pineapple slices like they come out in the can with the sauce. I usually use this recipe in the crock-pot with chicken too- YUMMY!


The first batch of soup did not turn out so good- I used egg beaters and they didn't separate. So we tried using egg whites and it was much better. Broth was good for both!


RECIPE:
4 c. of chicken broth
1/2 c. green onion
1 tsp. garlic
2 egg whites; beaten
Bring broth to a boil with green onion and garlic. Simmer 5 minutes- stirring constantly, slowly add the eggs until set. Turn off the heat. Serve with chow mein noodles.

We had some fun trying this- anytime I am in the kitchen is fun! I love recipe books and I have found a ton of blogs for recipes- my poor family (or rather husband) has to try what I am in the mood for! Lately, it's been somewhat normal- I've been thinking of doing a recipe blog so I could have easier access to some recipes and then I wouldn't have to copy them (especially for my sister) so she could look them up on the computer. We will see what happens!

8 comments:

thegatewoodfamily said...

those egg rolls look heavenly. I am so going to make those... or at least try!

McKinna said...

mmmmmm.... looks yummy!! Leftovers??? ;)

Anonymous said...

YUM!

Mindy said...

they look good! Oh, and im all for you doing a recipe blog!!!

Heidi said...

Wow! So yummy! I am going to have to try them!

Shelly Benson said...

I love your cheesy pictures - you guys are so funny. I definitely want to try those egg rolls, they look delish!

Anonymous said...

What a couple of hams.... The food looks good too.

Humes Family said...

yummy!